May 18, 2021, 19:48

Prince William ‘glad’ European Super League cancelled – and fans were ‘listened to’

Prince William ‘glad’ European Super League cancelled – and fans were ‘listened to’

Prince William has given his verdict on football clubs' decision to pull out of the controversial European Super League following fan backlash.

The Duke of Cambridge says he is 'glad' owners walked away from the new league proposition that had united football lovers across the land in anger.

The royal said he is "glad" fans have been "heard and listened to" following the withdrawal of the 'big six' English Premier League clubs from plans for the breakaway league.

A tweet, from the Kensington Royal account, said: "I'm glad the united voice of football fans has been heard and listened to. It is now really important that we use this moment to secure the future health of the game at all levels.

"As President of the FA, I'm committed to playing my part in that work."

Football fans reacted with fury with Chelsea supporters celebrating outside Stamford Bridge after their voices were heard
(Image: Getty Images)

The tweet was signed off 'W', for William.

The royal, a longtime Aston Villa supporter and president of the Football Association, went public with his concerns over the Super League plans earlier this week.

Fan fury had been swift and fierce after the breakaway league plot was revealed.

Crowds protested outside stadiums, cast away their football shirts in bins, and vowed to sever allegiances to their beloved teams if they participated in the plan, widely viewed as a cynical cash-grab by owners.

Chelsea fans protested against the new League prior to a match against Brighton & Hove Albion at Stamford Bridge
(Image: Getty Images)

The big six English clubs set to join the league have since walked away from the proposal following widespread public anger and political pressure.

Liverpool, Manchester United, Manchester City, Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham Hotspur all signalled their intentions to split from the new league proposal following the reaction.

Critics worried domestic football could suffer if the League went ahead, and that it risked the Premier League and UEFA choosing to expel the clubs involved.

Club bosses also faced cross-party opposition to the Super League proposal as Boris Johnson compared it to a 'cartel'.

He promised a 'legislative bomb' would be lit under English football if the clubs went ahead to join the league of 15 founding league members.

Fans make their feelings clear on the European Super League proposal outside Liverpool's Premier League clash with Leeds
(Image: Getty Images)

European Super League announcement fallout

  • SUPER LEAGUE LIVE: Reaction and fallout

  • Chelsea pull out of ESL

  • Ed Woodward resigns from Man Utd

  • Man City withdraw from Super League

But William's rare intervention came in an extraordinary week which saw the worlds of football, sport and royalty collide while the future King grieved the loss of his grandfather, Prince Philip.

Earlier this week, the heir to the throne wrote that he shared fans' concerns as he urged relevant governing bodies to "protect" the integrity of the sport.

"Now, more than ever, we must protect the entire football community – from the top level to the grassroots – and the values of competition and fairness at its core," the Duke of Cambridge wrote on Twitter earlier.

Sourse: mirror.co.uk

Related posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

We use cookies in order to give you the best possible experience on our website. By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. You can find a detailed description in our Privacy Policy.
Accept
Reject