May 19, 2022, 11:04

    Owner worried after dog stops eating – then finds 16 golf balls in his tummy

    Owner worried after dog stops eating – then finds 16 golf balls in his tummy

    A greedy dog shocked his owner after swallowing 16 golf balls without him even realising.

    David Warren, 70, first noticed his beloved boxer Ben was feeling rough when he lost his appetite and started losing weight.

    The grandfather-of-six took Ben to the vets, where an endoscopy revealed a cluster of 4cm golf balls sitting in his stomach.

    David said: "One day he’d been sick and there was a golf ball in it but I never thought for a minute it was because he’d eaten it.

    "I just thought it was there because we live next to a golf course and he’d been playing with the ball.

    Vets offered David the golf balls to take home
    (

    Image:
    SWNS)

    Sign up to our TeamDogs newsletter for your weekly dose of dog news, pictures and stories.

    "I was horrified when the vets told me about the blockage in his stomach.

    "They said it was golf balls and I thought he must have swallowed one or two but they said 'No, he’s swallowed 16'.

    "I couldn’t believe it. I’m not a golfer so these were stray balls from the driving range that he’d found and eaten, which shows how good the local golfers are."

    Two-year-old Ben was rushed into emergency surgery and David praised the "brilliant" vets at Northwest Veterinary Specialists for their high quality care.

    Ben's stomach was so full that he needed urgent surgery
    (

    Image:
    SWNS)

    Thankfully, a two-hour operation saved the pooch and Ben is now back to his normal self.

    David said: "They really made me chuckle when they offered me the bag of balls to take home after the operation.

    "I can see the funny side of it all now but at the time it was a very serious situation and no laughing matter."

    David, a widower, is now teaching his mischievous pet to chase after sticks and balls he can’t swallow.

    David is teaching Ben to play with sticks and footballs instead
    (

    Image:
    Matthew Lofthouse / SWNS)

    He added: "I have tried to encourage him to play with tennis balls instead, the ones you attach and throw from a stick for the dog to chase – but Ben chewed the stick to pieces. That’s him to a tee.

    "I’m going to have to buy some footballs for him to play with now, as he can’t possibly swallow something that size, can he?"

    Dylan Payne, surgeon at Northwest, said: "We performed an endoscopy of the stomach which revealed a large blockage due to golf balls – lots of golf balls.

    Luckily the boxer is now back to his normal self
    (

    Image:
    Matthew Lofthouse / SWNS)

    "Ben’s stomach was very full so we needed to carry out an urgent surgery to open the stomach to allow us to remove the balls.

    "It’s fairly routine, low risk surgery but the removal of so many golf balls is unique. Sixteen is a lot, even for a Boxer.

    "The operation was a complete success and Ben is back at home doing very well and gaining weight."

    Do you have a dog story to tell? Contact nia.dalton@reachplc.com.

    Read More

    Read More

    Sourse: mirror.co.uk

    Related posts

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    We use cookies in order to give you the best possible experience on our website. By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. You can find a detailed description in our Privacy Policy.
    Accept
    Reject
    Privacy Policy