June 27, 2022, 22:43

    Mum’s ‘princess’ daughter dies from E.coli poisoning after family Turkey holiday

    Mum’s ‘princess’ daughter dies from E.coli poisoning after family Turkey holiday

    A two-year-old girl died after contracting E. coli on a dream holiday to Turkey leaving her family piecing their lives back together.

    "Princess" Allie Birchall suddenly became ill after returning from their summer trip.

    She is believed she contracted the bacterial infection on the break, the Manchester Evening News reports.

    The child and her family, from from Atherton, near Wigan, had visited an all-inclusive with her family on July 23, 2019, an inquest at Manchester Coroner's Court heard last month.

    By July 27, she had become ill with stomach cramps, diarrhoea and vomiting.

    It was found that Allie had contracted E. coli on the trip

    Allie’s mum Katie, 36, has moved to warn other parents
    (

    Image:
    SWNS)

    Just 11 days later, Allie had deteriorated so much that doctors were unable to save her.

    "Allie was found to have a unique strain of Escherichia coli (E. coli) which must have originated in Turkey but it is not possible to say how Allie acquired it," the coroner has concluded.

    The child was admitted to Royal Bolton Hospital.

    Doctors were concerned that Allie was suffering from Haemolytic Uraemic Syndrome caused by Shiga[-Toxin] producing Escherichia coli, the coroner found.

    Haemolytic Uraemic Syndrome is a potentially fatal blood condition linked to Shiga-Toxin E. coli which can lead to kidney failure and brain damage.

    As she was diagnosed with both illnesses and worsened, medics decided Allie needed to be transferred to Royal Manchester Children’s Hospital for more supportive treatment, including dialysis, the inquest heard.

    The girl was admitted to hospital with stomach cramps, bloody diarrhoea and lethargy
    (

    Image:
    SWNS)

    The mum is determined that no other families go through what they did
    (

    Image:
    SWNS)

    Allie was placed into an induced coma on August 1 and her family made the heart-wrenching decision to terminate her life support two days later, after an MRI scan revealed she had suffered brain damage, they told the inquest.

    After almost three years of waiting for answers about what happened to their little girl, the family hopes others might be saved their suffering as they watched Allie be 'snatched away in the cruellest way possible'.

    Allie’s mum Katie, 36, said: “Losing our little Allie so tragically and suddenly was heartbreaking for us all, and it’s still incredibly difficult to think we’ll never see her again.

    “When she was admitted to hospital, we were all praying she would pull through. To be told she had suffered brain damage was absolutely devastating.

    The inquest into her death was heard last month
    (

    Image:
    SWNS)

    “The whole experience has been nothing short of traumatic and we have lost a huge part of our lives. Allie had her whole life ahead of her before it was snatched away in the cruellest way possible. Her death is something we’ll never get over.

    “Sadly nothing can turn back the clock and bring our princess back to us, but we’re grateful that the inquest is over and we at least have some answers. All we can hope for now is that others don’t have to suffer like our family has.”

    The coroner found little Allie's medical cause of death to be encephalopathy (brain swelling) and other complications associated with Haemolytic Uraemic Syndrome, brought on by Shiga-Toxin producing Escherichia coli (E. coli) infection.

    Sign up to our newsletter to get the day's biggest news straight to your inbox

    The Mirror's newsletter brings you the latest news, exciting showbiz and TV stories, sport updates and essential political information.

    The newsletter is emailed out first thing every morning, at 12noon and every evening.

    Never miss a moment by signing up to our newsletter here.

    Jatinder Paul, the Senior Associate Solicitor at Irwin Mitchell representing Allie’s loved ones, said: “Allie’s death continues to have a profound effect on her family, including her mum Katie who in particular is understandably still struggling to come to terms with what they’ve all been through.

    “While we can’t change what happened, Allie’s family at least now have some answers as to why she was taken from them so soon. The dangers of gastric illnesses and infections should never be downplayed.

    "E.coli is extremely serious and can result in long-term health problems and in the worst cases, such as this, death. We’ll continue to support them as they attempt to come to terms with their loss.”

    Read More

    Read More

    Sourse: mirror.co.uk

    Related posts

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    We use cookies in order to give you the best possible experience on our website. By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. You can find a detailed description in our Privacy Policy.
    Accept
    Reject
    Privacy Policy