June 16, 2021, 12:10

    Devastated mum in warning after her son, 20, died jumping into freezing lake

    Devastated mum in warning after her son, 20, died jumping into freezing lake

    A devastated mum has warned of the dangers of cold water shock after her son tragically died when he jumped into a freezing lake.

    Keivan Ulhaq, 20, had been socialising with friends at Lochore Meadows, Fife, when he entered the water on the evening of June 20.

    The confident swimmer who loved showing off and doing back flips suffered cold water shock and had a cardiac arrest.

    Emergency services rushed to the scene but six-foot Keivan, from Cowdenbeath, Fife, could not be saved.

    Grieving mum Sheena Ulhaq is raising funds for more equipment, including a defibrillator.

    Mum-of-nine Sheena said: "On the day Keivan died I remember the weather was really nice and I was at home decorating.

    He suffered a cardiac arrest and couldn't be saved, and his grieving mum has a warning for others
    (Image: Sheena Ulhaq / SWNS.COM)

    "He had gone to The Meedies with some friends, but the water was still freezing cold despite the weather.

    "Keivan was really active and was always doing back flips, especially if we were at the beach then he'd do back flips into the water.

    "But that day he struggled despite being a six foot big strapping lad. He suffered cold water shock and had a cardiac arrest.

    "It's really important that people are aware of the dangers of open water because I wouldn't want this to happen to anyone else.

    "I'm so grateful for all the support I've had, since Keivan died, from everyone who knows the family and I thank them from the bottom of my heart."

    She added: "Keivan was happy go lucky and he loved life. He doted on his younger brothers and sisters.

    "We all miss him so much."

    He was socialising with friends at Lochore Meadows, Fife, before tragedy struck
    (Image: UGC)

    The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service sent two appliances and a water rescue unit to the scene to assist other 999 crews.

    Deputy Assistant Chief Officer Alasdair Perry said: "We are grateful to Sheena for speaking about her story, and the tragic circumstances in which Keivan lost his life, to improve the safety of others.

    "We want people to stay safe around water this summer. However, our crews regularly respond to emergency calls from people in difficulty who need to be rescued.

    "We all like heading outdoors at this time of year, but unsupervised water can be extremely dangerous.

    "Open water can become very cold just a few feet under the surface and can cause cramps or Cold Water Shock meaning your strength and ability to swim deteriorates rapidly."

    Since Keivan's death, SFRS has worked with partners to install new water safety signs and lifesaving throwline equipment at Lochore Meadows to protect the public.

    Sheena Ulhaq is also raising funds for more equipment, including a defibrillator.

    Station Commander Michael Gemmell, based in Fife, said: "What happened to Keivan was a tragedy and it's devastating for everyone who knew him.

    "Unless you are fully trained, competent and equipped to enter water courses, keep a safe distance from water.

    "This isn't about spoiling anyone's fun, it's about preventing anyone else from needlessly losing their life.

    Sourse: mirror.co.uk

    Related posts

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    We use cookies in order to give you the best possible experience on our website. By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. You can find a detailed description in our Privacy Policy.
    Accept
    Reject
    Privacy Policy