May 22, 2022, 18:33

    Army rapes double despite MoD claims it’s taking ‘decisive action’ to end sex attacks

    Army rapes double despite MoD claims it’s taking ‘decisive action’ to end sex attacks

    The number of reported rapes on UK military bases has doubled in six years.

    Last year 40 investigations were launched compared with 20 in 2015.

    Ministry of Defence figures also show a big increase in alleged sex attacks on female personnel over those years, from 82 to 239.

    The rise comes despite the MoD claiming it is “taking decisive action” to end all inappropriate behaviour and putting up posters at barracks reminding soldiers sex must be consensual.

    A senior lawyer said more has to be done to stop women suffering sexual violence at work.

    Centre for Military Justice founder Emma Norton said: “For service personnel that have been sexually assaulted, it is extremely difficult to achieve justice.

    A senior lawyer said more has to be done to stop women suffering sexual violence at work
    (

    Image:
    Getty Images)

    “The victim, usually a woman, is almost always seen as the problem – interfering with the unit’s so-called operational effectiveness by reporting her assault and insisting on some ­accountability, either by reporting the crime or by trying to raise an internal complaint.”

    Ms Norton, who represents dozens of former and serving members of the armed forces who have been assaulted by colleagues, said: “In almost all of our cases, the experiences for victims have been career-ending and life-changing.”

    The MoD’s Murder, Manslaughter and Sexual Offences in the Service Justice System: 2021, reveals an increase in sex offences including rape, sexual assault, exposure and voyeurism. The vast majority of victims were females.

    Most sex offences took place in the UK but female troops were also abused at military bases in Cyprus, Canada and Germany.

    Centre for Military Justice founder Emma Norton

    Last year 59 of the 96 troops facing court martial for sex offences were found guilty.

    It is unknown how many of the 40 reported rapes led to a conviction. In March, Thomas Herrington, 19, was cleared of raping a female colleague, but found guilty of sexual assault, after telling the court his victim liked rough sex.

    An MoD spokesman said: “We are taking decisive action to stamp out all forms of ­inappropriate behaviour, including a zero ­tolerance policy on sexual offences and ­improving reporting mechanisms so personnel feel safe in raising issues and are confident ­allegations will be acted upon.”

    Read More

    Read More

    Sourse: mirror.co.uk

    Related posts

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    We use cookies in order to give you the best possible experience on our website. By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. You can find a detailed description in our Privacy Policy.
    Accept
    Reject
    Privacy Policy