June 25, 2022, 9:40

    Archie Battersbee: Family of boy, 12, to launch appeal after High Court ruled he is dead

    Archie Battersbee: Family of boy, 12, to launch appeal after High Court ruled he is dead

    Family of a 12-year-old boy at the centre of a life-support treatment dispute are preparing to mount an appeal bid after a High Court judge concluded that the youngster is dead.

    Mrs Justice Arbuthnot recently ruled that doctors could lawfully stop providing treatment to Archie Battersbee after considering evidence at a trial in the Family Division of the High Court in London.

    Members of Archie's family want Court of Appeal judges to consider the case and are due to launch an appeal bid later today.

    A spokesman for campaign organisation the Christian Legal Centre, which is supporting Archie's family, said relatives will use a follow-up High Court hearing to ask Mrs Justice Arbuthnot to give them the go-ahead to mount an appeal.

    Archie Battersbee with his mother Hollie Dance
    (

    Image:
    PA)

    Archie Battersbee with his mother Hollie Dance
    (

    Image:
    PA)

    Relatives must establish they have an arguable case before a full appeal hearing can be staged.

    Doctors treating Archie at the Royal London Hospital in Whitechapel, east London, told Mrs Justice Arbuthnot they think the youngster is "brain-stem dead".

    They said treatment should end and think Archie should be disconnected from a ventilator.

    Archie's parents, Hollie Dance and Paul Battersbee, from Southend, Essex, say the youngster's heart is still beating and want treatment to continue.

    Lawyers representing the Royal London Hospital's governing trust, Barts Health NHS Trust, asked Mrs Justice Arbuthnot to decide what moves are in Archie's best interests.

    Mrs Justice Arbuthnot heard that Archie suffered brain damage in an incident at home in early April.

    Doctors treating Archie Battersbee at the Royal London Hospital in Whitechapel, east London, think the youngster is "brain-stem dead"
    (

    Image:
    PA)

    Ms Dance said she found him unconscious with a ligature over his head on April 7 and thinks he might have been taking part in an online challenge.

    The youngster has not regained consciousness.

    Ms Dance has begged judges not to remove his life support and previously told the Mirror he had responded to music and smell.

    “His blood pressure went up, so we put on a deep-breathing meditation recording and put lavender oil under his nose and within 10 minutes his blood pressure dropped to normal levels," she added.

    “It’s a glimmer of hope. He’s in there and he’s going to wake up, he just needs time.”

    Read More

    Read More

    Sourse: mirror.co.uk

    Related posts

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    We use cookies in order to give you the best possible experience on our website. By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. You can find a detailed description in our Privacy Policy.
    Accept
    Reject
    Privacy Policy