A young girl was roasted alive in a car after her parents left her inside with the doors locked to attend a funeral.
The girl, four, had arrived for the service with her family in Ramhormoz, Iran, while temperatures outside reached 49C.
The youngster, only named Sadia, was sleeping when she was left in the car, where the mercury climbed to 79C inside – which is hot enough to roast a chicken.
By the time her parents realised she was in the car, Sadia was found unconscious.
Medics confirmed the girl died from heat stroke and suffocation.
The head of Ramhormoz's forensics department Dr Gholamreza Haidarnejad said: "A young couple left their four-year-old child sleeping in a car when they went to mourn the little girl's aunt.
An illustrative image of the Iranian city of Ramhormoz where Saida, 4, died
"The parents who decided not to wake the child then forgot her because of their distress during the funeral.
"The child was left in the car for several hours in hot, sunny weather and the car doors were locked."
The doctor added that the child died because of stress, heat intensity and lack of oxygen.
The devastated couple is receiving counselling and an investigation is going on into the tragedy by local police.
The parents reportedly left her to attend a funeral
The little girl's death comes after a boy in Texas died after allegedly being left in a hot car after mistakenly being left for three hours.
The mum rushed home while she was preparing for a birthday party of another child, and is believed to not know the boy was still in the car.
The mother had rushed home as she prepared for the birthday party of another child, an eight-year-old girl, and is believed to have not realised the boy was still in the car on Monday afternoon.
It was only after two or three hours that she noticed the five-year-old was missing and she made the tragic discovery of the boy in the car, said Texas police.
She had thought that the youngster was in the house but having searched there, she then went out to the car at their home in Harris County, northeast Houston.
Harris County Sheriff Ed Gonzalez confirmed that the child had died after being left for “several hours”.