Hundreds of travellers went to Sydney Airport this morning to catch the first flights overseas in 395 days – but they were surprised by what they found there.
A border worker has tested positive for coronavirus at Auckland Airport, sparking concerns about the trans-Tasman travel bubble agreement.
The country’s Ministry of Health said the worker had been placed into isolation.
“The usual protocol of isolating the case, interviewing them, and tracing their contacts and movements is under way,” it said in a statement on Tuesday.
“More information will be provided later today, and this case will be included in tomorrow‘s totals.”
There were 15 flight arrivals and 17 departures at Auckland Airport on Monday.
It comes just a day after two-way travel between Australia and New Zealand – without mandatory quarantine – launched.
Nearly 400 days passed since international borders were closed off to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
There were emotional scenes on Monday as families from across the ditch finally reunited.
Victoria recorded one new infection acquired overseas on Tuesday.
There are 14 active COVID-19 cases across the state – all were in hotel quarantine.
The federal department of health has been contacted for comment.