The San Diego Padres on Friday said no cancer was found during manager Bob Melvin’s prostate surgery.
Melvin, 60, is out of the hospital and resting at home, the team said. He opted to have surgery Wednesday after saying he had been feeling symptoms since the team returned from a road trip last week.
Melvin had said he hoped to miss only the first six games of the team’s forthcoming nine-game road trip, which starts Friday night in Atlanta and continues through Philadelphia and San Francisco.
Bench coach Ryan Christenson has been serving as interim manager during Melvin’s absence.
The Padres also said Friday that third base coach Matt Williams remained in COVID-19 protocol and hoped to rejoin the team in Philadelphia for a series that starts Tuesday night. First base coach David Macias moved to third base and Morgan Burkhart coached first base just as they did Wednesday in a home loss to the Cubs.
Share to FacebookShare to TwitterEmail this article