June 17, 2021, 3:45

    Billy Joe Saunders finally responds to accusation he quit against Canelo Alvarez

    Billy Joe Saunders finally responds to accusation he quit against Canelo Alvarez

    Billy Joe Saunders insists he wanted to carry on against Canelo Alvarez despite suffering a fractured eye socket.

    The Brit was pulled out by his corner following the eighth round of his unification clash with Alvarez last month.

    Saunders later underwent surgery and has remained silent while members of his extended team have had their say on the ending to the fight.

    But the former two-weight world champion has now told talkSPORT : “As a fighter, I wanted to go on. I sat down and I could hear Ben [Davison] telling me in the corner it was over before I even sat down.

    “I was shaking my head to say, ‘No way.’ It was the right stoppage, I can’t argue, I know my best interests was at hand.

    Billy Joe Saunders suffered a fractured eye socket against Canelo Alvarez
    (Image: Michael Owens/matchroom.)

    “Obviously it’s gutting and no-one wants to lose, it is gut-wrenching, but this is sport and it’s boxing. You can only ever say that the better man won on the night. That’s it.

    “I would’ve loved to see how the next four or five rounds were because I put so much heart and effort into it.

    "You’re always going to have your people who come and have their two pence worth but my team who’s in that corner know the conversation. I was going out for the ninth round orthodox and when people say, ‘He quit,’ you’ve gotta look at the situation.

    “I’m there to go on all night. When we step in that ring, that’s our lives and I’m willing to put down the life but never in my life would I ever say, ‘Nah, I’m finished, I’m done.’

    “I boxed a minute and 20 seconds with a broken eye socket, a broken cheekbone in three places.

    “A minute and 20 seconds is alright fighting the average man, but when you’re fighting the best man on the planet, I could’ve easily opted out but I never. That was the cornerman’s decision. It is what it is, I can’t argue with that.”

    Saunders also admitted he is considering hanging up his gloves after losing his world title.

    "At the end of the day, I’m 31 years old, if I don’t ever want to work again, want to sit back, want to chill, I can do that.

    “And so it should be, I’ve put a lot of time into boxing and I’ve paid my dues. The sport’s been very, very good to me.

    “I’m 31, I haven’t took no punishment, I haven’t been battered from pillar to post, brain dead and can’t put a sentence together, so I need to sit back and look at my options.

    “Because the options have to weigh up – the thought of me just coming in and fighting for a world rating or something, belts don’t feed the kids.

    “Everything would have to stack up and [be] the right fight because coming down from fights like that, it’s very hard, where do you go from there?

    “I’ll have a chat with my dad because he’ll have a big say in it. To be fair it will be more or less down to my dad in the conversation more than me if I’m honest.

    “It’s one of them where it’s 50/50. Whether I think, I will have one more or a couple more, but they’ve gotta be the right sort of fights.

    “If he says, ‘Leave it son, don’t go back for more,’ then that’s probably what I’ll do.”

    Sourse: mirror.co.uk

    Related posts

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    We use cookies in order to give you the best possible experience on our website. By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. You can find a detailed description in our Privacy Policy.
    Accept
    Reject
    Privacy Policy