Duterte first placed the country under a state of calamity in March when the number of confirmed infections was approaching 200 with about a dozen deaths. The country now has more than 290,000 confirmed cases, the highest in Southeast Asia, with nearly 5,000 deaths.
The tough-talking president lashed anew at critics in his televised remarks late Monday for accusing his administration of not doing enough to contain the outbreaks.
“What ‘enough’ do you want? There are hospitals, beds and funeral parlors. Everything is there,” Duterte said, specifying Vice President Leni Robredo, who leads the opposition, in his tirade.
The state of calamity in place until September 2021 will be used mainly to draw emergency funds quickly anywhere in the country. Officials can also control the prices of basic commodities like rice and cooking oil under such a state of calamity.
Quarantine restrictions such as social distancing remain as they are now.
The Philippines is a leading source of global labor, including medical personnel.
In other developments in the Asia-Pacific region:
— South Korea has added 61 additional coronavirus cases, its lowest daily virus tally since mid-August amid a downward trend in fresh infections. The Korea Disease Control and Prevention Agency said Tuesday the additional figures took the country’s total to 23,106 with 388 deaths. It’s the third day in a row that South Korea’s daily virus tally has stayed below 100. South Korea had seen an uptick in new infections, mostly in the greater Seoul area, since early last month, before its caseload recently began slowing under stringent physical distancing rules.